you are in this section


A Pleasure Craft Operator Card is required to operate power-driven boats and watercraft in Canada - It’s The Law.

  • Every person who operates a motorized boat in Canada must obtain proof of competency.
  • You can obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card by passing a Transport Canada Accredited boating safety test.
  • Getting your Operator Card proves that you are a competent boater and ensures that you understand Canada’s navigation rules and how to boat safely.

Boaters can obtain their official Pleasure Craft Operator Card, commonly known as a boat license or boat card, by successfully passing the BOATsmart! exam.